December 2, 2009
Hello everyone. I know it's been a while for another blog. I just wanted to share a link with you from another blog by New Energy Timberworks (click to be directed). The owner of the company is doing a 'Green' model home in Portland and here's his latest entry working on oiling his floor with Land Ark. The picture is courtesy of New Energy Works as well. Thanks guys!!
Have a happy and merry holiday season!
June 23, 2009
June 7, 2009
May 26, 2009
We have had countless conversations with folks using Land Ark Natural Wood Finishes on their floors. I'd like to give a little more information about that to help you finish your floor successfully. Firstly, Land Ark wasn't designed specifically for floor finishing, however, woodworkers being the adventurers they are, use it and for many with great success. Here's how:
- For less dense wood species such as pine use the Concentrated Finishing Oil, 2 coats using a cotton rag, brush or lambswool pad (you can get them for floor finishing specifically). Put on the first coat (not too thick) leave overnight or until the wood has taken the oil in and buff off any excess. Repeat the second coat and let sit for a 1 day up to 1 week and buff out. For denser species, the Concentrated works fine as well, but may be slower in absorption time. Consider using the Interior Finish (Original Finish) in that case, it has more solvent and should penetrate quicker.
- If desired, top coat with a very thin coat of Non-Staining End Sealer/Liquid Wax.
- Let wax sit for 1 day up to 1 week and buff out. Multiple buffings lend greater results. The oils in the floor won't cure for 3-4 weeks, so be patient. It will be hard after the cure time.
- For any smudging during cure period, just rub out with a cotton rag or buff.
- For long term cleaning, use any oil-soaps like Murphy's, Ecover floor cleaner, etc. For abrasions or deep scuffing you can use a green Scotch-Brite scrub pad with the oil soap or even more Land Ark and buff dry.
- For fixing the dry areas over the years, just buff in more Land Ark as needed, there is no need to sand off the old finish. It will blend.
Clean Up: Use the Pure Citrus Solvent to take off oil you may have gotten on your equipment, glass windows, or tile.
Call us with questions at 541-84... or 888-Land Ark.
The photo above is by Alex Greene, from Red Beard Lumber Co. who mills, lays and finishes beautiful hardwood floors and loves Land Ark!
March 22, 2009
WHAT TO USE: The best results come from saturating the floor with our Concentrated Finishing Oil (Earthen Floor Finish) and top coating with 2-3 thin coats of Non-Staining End Sealer/Liquid Wax. You can also add oxide pigments for a variety of rich colors. Why put yourself at risk from toxic dryers and chemical additives in hardware store variety finishes? Land Ark is the way to go.... GREEN!
Here's what one natural builder and earthen floor expert has to say:
“Earthen floors are laid as a wet mix of clay rich soil, sand and fiber. After drying, these raw floors are sealed with many layers of linseed oils mixed with thinner and then finished with a wax or resin.. The Concentrated Finishing Oil from Land Ark works great for me. It already has citrus thinner in it, which I absolutely prefer.
I apply many layers, until the floor is full and then let it dry for about a week. I then use Land Ark Non-Staining End Sealer/Liquid Wax, applying with a buffer...beautiful! I have also been playing around with the pigmented oils; they color the basic brown floor nicely. ”-Sukita Crimmel, From These Hands, LLC
More about From These Hands and Sukita:
From These Hands, LLC is a natural building company with the mission to offer design, contracting and consultation for earthen floors, plasters, walls and sculpture.
Earthen Floors have recently become our focus and with that we have done the work of finding all the best materials. Local is very important to us, as well as non toxic. After a few other attempts at different options for the oil we use to seal the floors, we have landed with Land Ark Natural Wood Finishes from Land Ark Northwest.
With the integration of earthen construction methods and materials with green building options, we are rekindling the trust and knowledge to build with the earth.
From These Hands, LLC, Sukita Crimmel:: Owner, manager, general mud enthusiast and earthen floor specialist. Phone: 503.957.6132, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.sukita.com
Stay tuned for more on this in the future....
March 15, 2009
Land Ark Northwest is heading to Madras, Oregon, April 17-19th for the Small Farmer's Journal Horsedrawn Auction & Swap Meet at the Jefferson Co. Fairgrounds. We will have a booth there, be kicking up our heels and having a great time (oh, and talking about our wood finish)! Visit this great organization's webpage at www.smallfarmersjournal.com! We hope to see you there!
Coming up soon - March 28th - Autumn and Aaron Bauman will be giving a 90 minute talk and demonstration on wood finishes and wood finishing at the upcoming Timber Framer's Guild Western Conference in Sunriver, Oregon. Below is the summary that will be published in the conference proceedings. We'd love to see you there!
Wood Finishing: Traditional to Modern Finishes and Techniques
You’ve just spent months in the shop cutting on a frame, or if you’re cutting your own house frame, maybe years. The structure is finally up, the roof is going on, winter is coming soon and you need to get a finish on those timbers fast. What kind of finish do you use? How do you put it on? What are the longer term issues based on this hasty choice you just made? There are many options out there for what to finish your frame with. Some of our topics will include:
- A discussion on how many different finishes work. What are the differences between polyurethane, water-based finishes, natural oils, varnishes, etc.
- Frame prep before finishing
- What is end sealer? Do I need it? What does it do?
- We will also address your ‘Green’ finish options, what that means for your framing job, homeowner and applicator safety, and application considerations
- What are the best options for the overall look and health of your timber frame?
- Long-term care and maintenance
- Using stains and exterior pigments
We will also present a basic overview of traditional wood finishing techniques that can be used on a variety of wood projects in addition to timber framing, from furniture, windows and trim, to floors. We will split our time going from slide presentation to hands-on finishing demonstrations to keep it lively. Bring your questions, experiences (or lack thereof), finishing disasters or dramas and we’ll be sure to do our best to answer your questions or help guide your next project!
Bio: Autumn and Aaron Bauman are manufacturers of Land Ark Natural Wood Finishes and run Land Ark Northwest out of Blodgett, Oregon. They have their hands on all types of woodworking projects and in various finishes, not just their own. They purchased a rural, abandoned lumber mill site last January and in their spare time, have begun a clean up and restoration in preparation of starting the Oregon Folk School. Starring of course, architecture with lots of timber framing. Stay tuned…
January 5, 2009
Please come find Land Ark Natural Wood Finishes at the following events. We would love to meet you and talk with you in person about our finishes!
March 25-29th - Timber Framer's Guild Western Conference in Sun River, Oregon. We will be offering a class in natural wood finishing at the conference (not just about using our product!). FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS PLACED IN PERSON AT THE CONFERENCE!
November 4-8th - Timber Framer's Guild Eastern Conference in Saratoga Springs, NY. 20% DISCOUNT ON ORDERS PLACED IN PERSON AT THE CONFERENCE!
Spring '09 (TBA) you'll find us working with Project Green Build, applying finishes for their Felida Green home. Finishing workshop may be available.
Summer '09 (TBA) watch for us in Brasstown, NC helping with the TFG blacksmithing timber frame project.
We can also be available to do demonstrations in the Northwest (or other locations with some arrangement) for your timber frame shop, green building organization, or other group. Just give us a call to get you on the schedule!
Keep checking the list- we will be adding more dates and events along the way!