We have had countless conversations with folks using Land Ark Natural Wood Finishes on their floors. I'd like to give a little more information about that to help you finish your floor successfully. Firstly, Land Ark wasn't designed specifically for floor finishing, however, woodworkers being the adventurers they are, use it and for many with great success. Here's how:
- For less dense wood species such as pine use the Concentrated Finishing Oil, 2 coats using a cotton rag, brush or lambswool pad (you can get them for floor finishing specifically). Put on the first coat (not too thick) leave overnight or until the wood has taken the oil in and buff off any excess. Repeat the second coat and let sit for a 1 day up to 1 week and buff out. For denser species, the Concentrated works fine as well, but may be slower in absorption time. Consider using the Interior Finish (Original Finish) in that case, it has more solvent and should penetrate quicker.
- If desired, top coat with a very thin coat of Non-Staining End Sealer/Liquid Wax.
- Let wax sit for 1 day up to 1 week and buff out. Multiple buffings lend greater results. The oils in the floor won't cure for 3-4 weeks, so be patient. It will be hard after the cure time.
- For any smudging during cure period, just rub out with a cotton rag or buff.
- For long term cleaning, use any oil-soaps like Murphy's, Ecover floor cleaner, etc. For abrasions or deep scuffing you can use a green Scotch-Brite scrub pad with the oil soap or even more Land Ark and buff dry.
- For fixing the dry areas over the years, just buff in more Land Ark as needed, there is no need to sand off the old finish. It will blend.
Clean Up: Use the Pure Citrus Solvent to take off oil you may have gotten on your equipment, glass windows, or tile.
Call us with questions at 541-84... or 888-Land Ark.
The photo above is by Alex Greene, from Red Beard Lumber Co. who mills, lays and finishes beautiful hardwood floors and loves Land Ark!